Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Favorite mark, Co. Limerick, 11-September-2011

People: me

Duration: 12:00pm until 4:00pm

Tide: 12:00 0.80m 18:18 4.90m

Weather:  SW Gale with squalls but moderated for the last two hours

Bait:Mack, Eel, squid

Rigs: 4/0 penel pulley and 4/0 single hook wire trace

Results: one dog, one strap over a pound and a 24cm dab

Report:
Headed out at the last minute after a feeling the effects of a few drinks the night before. So I decided where to go on the way. I thought of a sheltered deep water mark where I got the 5 ray in August but I would of hit it just at low water and to get the best out of there, you need to hit it at least an hour before low water. The other alternative was Ballylongford for the stroing SW wind though that mark could of been though fishing with weed. I was lazy and went to my usual mark which didn't look great as it had a wave which doesn't do much for the fishing. The main advantage over the Ballylongford was I only had a short walk.




I fished at a rocky point on my usual mark that is supposed to be good either side of LW but I don't fish it much because it can be very snaggy. The tide ran hard as is usual here at low water and there was some harsh squalls to contend with. I used a ledger on one rod and a pulley cast out as far. My casting was limited by the cross wind and bait got swepth up stream on the early flood. I got one bite after an hour and a half. I didn't feel much of a weight to start with but snagged up close in and I managed to get going under pressure. After a struggle I landed a mottled battered yellow top impact and ball of nylon fish. The bait had been pulled at away from the hooks but the fish, most likely a dog, avoided the hooks.



With the tide pushing me off here I went the 100 yards down to my usual spot as this is better away from low water. After a bit of a wait in which I contemplated my first blank from here in many years I pulled in a dog to eel/squid. This was followed by a belting bite which gave me a strap over a pound that made shit of my pulley baited with mak/squid. The last fish a plump Dab of 24 cm managed to hook on a 4/0 pulley.

The setup at the rocky point

No comments:

Post a Comment